\

Monday, February 28, 2011

Meatless Monday: Sweet Potato Tacos!

Originally called Sweet Potato Burritos, I made tacos instead because...um...I can't wrap a burrito for the life of me. Hahahaha.


Taken with the camera on my phone, so sorry if it's not best quality.


Ingredients:

4-6 soft taco shells, tortillas or wraps
1 medium sweet potato, boiled until tender and drained
1 cup brown rice or quinoa, cooked to desired tenderness
10 oz frozen spinach
1 cup black beans
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
hot sauce, to taste

Directions:

Cook spinach according to package directions, pressing out any excess water once the spinach is fully cooked.

Put the spinach in a bowl, sprinkle with garlic powder and salt and set aside.

Sprinkle cumin, onion powder and garlic powder over black beans, stirring to evenly coat beans with spices and set aside.

Peel cooked sweet potato and mash with a potato masher or fork. Sprinkle with cinnamon and stir to combine.

Combine sweet potato, spinach, grains and black beans in a large bowl, stirring to evenly combine, and scoop mixture into the center of the wrap. Drizzle with hot sauce to taste.

Number of Servings: 4

I have to say, I love these. I know, I mean it's obvious I do because I wouldn't put it up here if it wasn't. But they're sooo good. Even if you're not a huge sweet potato fan. I do highly recommend hot sauce though. I feel like it tastes a bit plain without hot sauce but with it, it gives a great kick.

I love Mexican food, I really want to go to Mexico just to eat (and drink). But I have to say, it's quite difficult to eat healthy vegetarian mexican food. It's always cheese and cheese and cheese. And while I do love cheese, in fact, cheese is the key item as to why I could never be vegan. But it's nice to see a healthy mexican-ish meal. Plus this recipe makes A LOT. Seriously I hate it like 4 nights and it lasts very long. Definitely check it out.

I actually got this recipe from Meatless Monday's website. Click here to look over the recipe and nutritional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

google-site-verification=U4wIE1SrFFhPy3u1KnhOhpfC0ITX-PSyVLXRofShgUY